Sunday, September 28, 2008

Taking Flight


Phew! I feel like I have so much to say but I don't quite know where to begin. It's been a really interesting time however I'm not sure when I say that whether I mean this past week, month or year! All of them for their own reasons and to varying degrees and meanings.

Most significantly something stirred this weekend. I lay awake in bed till around 3.30am on Saturday morning thinking about my life, my health, my dreams, my past. I realised that I can make things different and that I can achieve things if I set my mind and my heart to it.


So that is exactly what I have decided to do. To get out there and achieve my goals and dreams. To work towards things I know that I want such as living a healthy lifestyle, becoming fit and active, becoming a bike rider and getting my body back into the state of being that I want it to be in.


More than that though, I'm going to start listening to the secret desires of my heart and I'm going to let them become loud and visible, tangible and possible. How am I going to do it? Well first of all I'm going to give them voice.

I want to be an artist, and a writer.

Wow, it feels frightening to see that on the screen in front of me, to think about pushing the 'publish post' button. So many thoughts of being an impostor, of not being good enough, of not being allowed to wish for such flights of fancy. I can't help but worry that everyone is just going to laugh at me either overtly or behind my back.

Somewhere deep inside though is a tiny flame that won't be extinguished. It's been there for as long as I can remember. There's a energy and lightness to my being when I am being creative. When I dream of a life as a creative soul and when I am being creative I feel energised and at peace with my place in the universe.


I've just started reading Kelly Rae Roberts new book 'Taking Flight'. It's absolutely magic. It has reawakened my passion and desire. Interestingly it was an article by her that I first read in Cloth, Paper, Scissors that first reawakened my creative dreaming. A second article by her was the impetus to start blogging back in February. Now only a few pages into her book and again I'm alive with possibility. It's fascinating to me that I am so inspired and influenced by this single individual and that she keeps having such an impact on my life. If you haven't read her blog at all I highly recommend a visit.

There's lots more to come. Stay tuned...

22 comments:

meetmeatmikes said...

I reckon dreams can come true, Miss Cat. You just have to stick to your path and be positive. You can achieve whatever you want, if you try, try, try.

CurlyPops said...

Wow, can't wait!
I know you can do it...you just have to look at all the hugely successful artists and crafters out there in the world who started with one simple idea. You go girl!

Liesl said...

From what I've seen and read, I think you might already be an artist and a writer.

But this sounds like the start of an exciting journey. Good on you for pursuing your dreams.

Anastasia said...

what an inspiring post...i feel the same way!! you can do it...small steps will lead to something big!!

JustJess said...

What a wonderful post. We are all behind you Cath. x

Reenie said...

I can't wait to see some of your new creations !!

Maureen Reynolds said...

Cathy, I'm coming to believe that a lot of quote midlife crises unquote are turning out to be windows into our what can be rather than regrets about what is. We learn to strip away what is no longer useful, or what no longer fits, and evolve into more of the current person we really are ..right now.

Thanks for the rec on the book; sounds as if it fits right in with Vein of Gold that our Artist Way group is doing this year.

Maureen Reynolds said...

ooops...wanted to send this via email but wth. It's funny (oh yeah....) that we really don't quite get the whole future package that comes from those pleasurable moments (by comparison) of sex. ;-)

angelique said...

Your post is great and inspiring.I will be ready and waiting for future posts about it all. When I'm next in Melb we are meeting up for a coffee and I can see what's happening in person!

Taccolina said...

Hi Cat, I think only you can decide what and who you are going to be - but when you make that decision - it's truly AMAZING what you can do. Go for it, it's worth every minute...

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

"If you can dream it, you can do it. All it took was a dream and a mouse." Walt Disney.
You go girl!!!

Jenny said...

Good on you! May all your dreams and goals come true-how exciting!

Anonymous said...

go for it.........live the dream and have no regrets

Michelle said...

Cam's right - it just takes one good idea.

You won't recognise your life once you totally embrace your creativity. I certainly don't recognise my life prior to all this.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! The hardest part is the admission, the standing up and saying "this is what I am!" You're going to do brilliantly!

hokey said...

Yay! love this post! I think that the change of the seasons and the weather warming up really does inspire us all to create and dream big dreams. Horray for you! xx

Sasparilla Sue said...

That's so inspiring! Isn't it funny how some of our most amazing epiphanies happen in the wee hours of the morning? I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and your accomplishments.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on both identifying your dreams and for taking steps towards them. Once you've identified your goals, you can (and will) make them happen!

Off The Peg said...

Wow! You have just brought a tear to my eye. I too have always dreamt of 'being an artist when I grow up'. But so many inhibitions and insecurities stop me on a daily basis... it's so hard to keep dreams alive, so easy to go with the norm, the expected and loose sight of the things that motivate and inspire.
But all that we dream of is within reach, we just need to believe in ourselves. Go for it!

Two Peas In a Pod said...

You are an amazing artist so I cant wait to see what you will come up with now that you have said it out loud. Im sure it will be brilliant. And of course we are all here to encourage you along the way.
Cheers Kyla

Anonymous said...

Just came to you via meet me at mikes award thingy. Just want to say Bloody Amazing, you are wonderful. Can I say I want to be a proffesional crafter? its too scary...maybe not, what the hell, you have inspired me. Thank you so much.

Bec said...

What a great post - and so inspiring!!! I'm going to have to seek out that book. You have got me thinking about what it is I really want. And it surprised me (and scared me a little bit) to find that I'm really not sure. Beyond being a good mum, and having a happy and healthy family, I really don't know what I want for myself - what I want to achieve or become. So I'm going away to have a good think about it. Thank-you :)