Wednesday, May 14, 2008

This Is...Playing Catch Up

The theme for This Is... this week was what reminds me of my Mum given that it was Mother's Day and all. I was missing in action on Sunday so thought I would post it today.

My Mum bought this bag in Tijuana in 1978. She won a prize in some competition of $1500 worth of travel. A pretty huge amount of money in those days I imagine. We had an amazing trip to the West Coast of the USA and a day trip to Tijuana. Right about this time 30 years ago in fact. I was there when she bought this bag even though I don't remember it - I was only 7 at the time. Now it has been passed on to me and I love it. It is the most beautifully crafted bag. I love that it was my Mum's before mine and I am reminded of her whenever I have it with me. I am also reminded of the love of travel that she instilled in me.

Owls remind me of my Mum too. She collects them and has done for years. She has hundreds and hundreds of them. When I saw one of these old Avon perfume bottles on someone's blog one day (I can't remember where sorry) and I wanted one I just had to go and ask Mum. She had two, of course.

And finally this blog reminds me of my Mum - I Op Therefore I am. My Mum has been a keen op shopper for years and is even the voluntary manager of an Op Shop in outer Melbourne. I only became an Op Shopper recently and this year I bought her gift from an Op Shop. I think she liked it better than many presents I have spent loads more money on. It's always the way isn't it.

All my older photos of Mum are in an album that I made her at her house so here is a recent one. She's a good and strong woman and I love her.

7 comments:

Shellbells said...

wow my mum collects owls too!!!

Reenie said...

Ooh, that bag reminds me of my mum. When I was little, she did a leatherwork course and made bags and belts that looked so like that bag.

PS. I love that elephant statue !!

meetmeatmikes said...

I'm glad you are back... And this is a really lovely heartfelt post! Your Mum is lucky she's got a gal like you.. you know?!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Your Mum sounds like one special lady! What a lovely bag - I did some leatherwork as part of my Occupational Therapy course back in the early 80's. You don't often see that type of thing these days. Yours looks as if it is destined to be a family heirloom.

Lisa [strickerin] said...

What a lovely tribute to your Mum.

Mine had that very Avon bottle too.

Two Peas In a Pod said...

What a great post about your mother.

I was just talking to my mum the other day and we figure that instead of spending loads of money in the retail stores we are going to buy our Christmas gifts from op shops, garage sales or we have to make them...I think it is a great idea so I can see where your mum would love a gift from an op shop instead of one that you spent loads of money on. But Im sure she treasures anything you give her.

So that is cool that your mum has been an op shopper for ages. Sounds like she is pretty amazing lady
PS- I want your bag...it is beautiful...
Cheers Kyla

Angela said...

I love a op shopping Mum and especially an owl collecting one! I think you saw the avon owl bottle on my blog : )

I picked one up from the op shop at Christmas time.

Angela x